(FIRST PUBLISHED BY 2G fORUM)
- 95.6% of Latvia's pre-war Jewish population were murdered in 1941 and 1942 by German Nazis and Latvian Arajs commandos and auxiliary police, many of whom subsequently, in 1943 and 1944 freely joined the Latvian SS Legion, the 15th and 19th divisions, the 15th becoming the most decorated out of all SS divisions. It is true that the Latvian Legion per se did not murder, virtually all of their Latvian compatriots; who happened to be Jewish, but a substantial number of them prior to joining the legion had been mass murderers of the worst kind. (The main core of the Waffen SS legion Lettland was created in 1943 from 16 battalions of Latvian police which in 1941-1942 participated in the Holocaust in not only Latvia but also Russia, Belorussia and in the executions in the Warsaw ghetto.)
- With regards to the Latvian Legion guarding at the Nurnberg trials the reality is that only a third of them did so, in the exterior ring not because they were innocent of crimes but because they spoke good German! Other rings were composed of Americans, allied troops and police. One should also question the following, Ivan Demyanyuk, also like the Latvian legionnaires, worked for the Americans immediately after the war, does this mean he is not a criminal?
Other articles on the Conservatives unsavoury allies, written already in 2009
I knew the day of Holocaust 'debate' would come. Just not in my lifetime
Latvian state dance troupe displays Nazi swastika 17 November 2013 in Riga stadium
article by Graeme Atkinson and Monica Lowenberg , Hope Not Hate, 24.11.2013
1. Monday 8 July 2013, 'Jewish Hour' on Salford City Radio 94.4FM
‘I am a European like you’ says Joel Rubinfeld…’The days of the Third Reich are over!’
During the Shoah, Nazi collaborators from Lithuania and Latvia, helped murder more than 275,000 Jews – their neighbours – many of them known as Litvaks, 96% of those countries Jewish population, the highest percentage rate in any European country.
The film explores the search for these collaborators, the efforts to prosecute them and the refusal of countries to bring their citizens to justice.
More info at richardbloomproductions.com
Rachel Kostanian, who was for many years director of the Green House Holocaust museum in Vilnius, and is the author and editor of noted works on the Holocaust in Lithuania, shares her views in a strictly personal capacity (not representing any institution) in an interview with Dovid Katz, formerly professor of Yiddish at Vilnius University, now editor of DefendingHistory.com, a website dedicated to preserving Holocaust history and countering claims to revise and delegitimize that history especially in Eastern Europe
9. Danny Ben-Moshe's documentary "Rewriting History" (http://rewriting-history.org/).
10. BBC The Story of the Jews , Episode 4 , Over the Rainbow with historian Simon Schama http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9BaGc-yFE4 first televised 22.09.2013
Documentary series. Simon Schama explores how Eastern European Jewish culture
made its mark across the world, from Soviet politics to Hollywood cinema. At 52.12 in episode 4 Simon Schama visits Lithuania and speaks out regarding what happened there.
Latvian dance troupe recreate a Swastika prior to a hockey match against a Russian team in Riga's football stadium. Riga is to be European Cultural capital for 2014...
Stop the 16 March marches and Latvians revising history!
You Can Add Your Voice To This Petition Here: http://www.petitions24.com/stop_the_16_march_marches_and_latvians_revising_history